Friday, September 14, 2012

Kristan's Salsa (for Canning)

canned-salsa

Another Friday, another salsa recipe, but this one happens to be our favorite! A few summers ago, my friend Kristan and I both spent a weekend at our houses canning salsa. Mine was so-so--watery and thin, and decidedly lacking in punch and panache. Kristan's salsa was sublime--chunky and colorful, and full of deep, vibrant flavors! I begged her for the recipe and patiently waited until the following summer so I could make jars and jars and jars of delicious salsa. I think my husband and I canned close to 50 pints of salsa that summer!

I don't know what it is that makes this salsa recipe so amazing. It has tomatoes and peppers and onions and spices like you'd expect, but they all come together to make a rich, satisfying salsa that captures the flavors of warm, sunny weather, and lets you enjoy them even in the dead of winter!



Kristan's Salsa
makes approximately 9 pints
For anyone who hasn't canned before, you can find wonderful directions on canning HERE on the Ball website. It is pretty important to read through the steps on jar sterilization and what-not before you start.
canned-salsa-2

7 pounds tomatoes
10 anaheim peppers
1/3 cup chopped jalapenos
2 cups chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
5 cloves garlic
1 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup tomato paste
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon onion salt
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 teaspoons cumin
2 Tablespoons garlic salt
2 Tablespoons canning salt

Chop and cores tomatoes and place them in a colander for 30 minutes to drain. Transfer drained tomatoes to a large pot and simmer, stirring frequently, for 1 hour. Blend with an immersion blender until mostly smooth. Seed and coarsely chop anaheim peppers. Place all peppers, onions, cilantro, and garlic in a food processor and pulse until mostly smooth. Add pepper mixture to tomatoes. Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes. Ladle into hot pint jars, leaving 1/2" head space. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath canner.

Pin It!

22 comments:

  1. Salsa is my weakness! I need to buckle down and can some for this winter. Nothing like busting out some yummy salsa to bring sunshine to a dreary pacific northwest winter day. Thanks Lulu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Analia! We had to try really hard last year not to eat it all during the winter!

      Delete
  2. I just made this today. I found your site from googling chunky salsa for canning. We have fallen in love and my husband even said this tastes better than pace salsa. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! my boyfriend made homemade salsa on Friday and we were talking about canning it. This recipe is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adriana! Once I tasted this salsa I stopped searching for recipes to can--it is perfect!

      Delete
  4. How spicy is this recipe? Sounds very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remove all of the seeds from the peppers, so it is really mild. If you want it hotter, leave some of the seeds in.

      Delete
  5. Is this salsa have a strong vinegar taste? If so, can I substitute lemon/lime juice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol. I don't think it has a particularly strong vinegar flavor. If you want to substitute lemon or lime juice for the vinegar, I don't recommend canning it, but you could still eat it fresh.

      Delete
  6. I didn't see a step where you remove the skin from the tomatoes. Do you not get bits of skin throughout the salsa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sadie. Because the tomatoes cook for so long and get chopped up by the immersion blender, you don't have to remove the skins.

      Delete
  7. Can you freeze the salsa instead of canning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo. I've never tried freezing it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. As long as you have space in your freezer!

      Delete
  8. This is a very tasty recipe. I left the tomatoes, pepper and onions a little chunky. I like mine a little spicy so I doubled the peppers. Thanks for the recipe though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tastes like our favorite mexican restaurant... a perfect use for all the tomatoes, peppers, and cilantro from the garden! Thank you so much... I made two batches yesterday:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does taste just like good restaurant salsa, Amy! I always make double batches too. We actually plant our garden with this salsa in mind!

      Delete
  10. Hi, Lulu! Sounds like a great recipe - for the highly detailed of us, would you mind estimating how many cups of chopped tomatoes you end up using? Depending on how one cores/chops their tomatoes, there could be great variability in the "usable" quantity yield. I am so excited to try this recipe, and I just don't want to mess it up. :) Thanks so much, Lulu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kato. Uhhhh.... I hate to guess at how many cups of tomatoes 7 pounds equals, and I always put it straight from my kitchen scale into a pot, so I can't even ballpark it. BUT, what I usually do is core and coarsely chop my tomatoes, and then measure out 7 pounds. That should give you the perfect amount every time. Maybe buy or pick a bit more than 7 pounds to make allowances for the cores being removed. Good luck!

      Delete
  11. Lulu this recipe sounds so good can 't wait to try! Do you know how many pints this recipe makes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol! The recipe makes about 9 pints of salsa. Sometimes we get a little more, sometimes a little less. And I usually make a double batch. Good luck!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...